Wisdom teeth, or third molars, often require removal to maintain oral health. Our dentist, Dr. Will Grella, works with a local oral surgeon to provide comprehensive wisdom teeth removal services to ensure the well-being of your smile.
Understanding Wisdom Teeth
Wisdom teeth usually emerge during late adolescence or early adulthood. While some people can accommodate these molars, many experience complications, such as impaction, misalignment or overcrowding, necessitating their removal.
Wisdom teeth removal is a common oral surgery that is typically performed under local or general anesthesia. The procedure involves making an incision in the gum tissue, removing any bone that blocks access to the tooth and then extracting the tooth. In the case of impacted wisdom teeth, we may need to cut the tooth into smaller pieces for easier removal. Once the tooth is extracted, the incision is closed with dissolvable stitches. The entire process is conducted with precision and care to minimize discomfort and promote swift healing.
After the procedure, it is crucial to follow our instructions to ensure proper healing. These may include:
- Pain Management: Taking prescribed or over-the-counter pain relievers as directed.
- Bleeding Control: Applying gauze to the extraction site to control bleeding.
- Ice Application: Using ice packs on the outside of the cheek to reduce swelling.
- Dietary Restrictions: Consuming only soft foods and avoiding hot or spicy substances.
- Oral Hygiene: Gently rinsing the mouth with warm saltwater to keep the area clean and prevent infection.
- Follow-Up Visits: Attending scheduled follow-up appointments to monitor the healing process.
It is essential to allow sufficient time for the body to heal. Resting, avoiding strenuous activities and following post-op instructions can contribute to a smooth recovery process. Any unusual symptoms, such as excessive bleeding or severe pain, should be reported to us promptly.
The procedure, when followed by appropriate aftercare, ensures minimal discomfort and promotes efficient healing. We provide comprehensive guidance and support throughout the process, prioritizing your comfort and well-being. For personalized care and professional assistance, contact our practice at 562-597-1543 to schedule your consultation and wisdom teeth removal procedure in Long Beach, California.